Looking at Sri Lankan recipes lately for my ‘Around the world’ series I realized that parippu vadas are quite popular in Sri Lanka too!
Crispy Lentil Fritters (Parippu vada)
- 2 cups Toor dal (yellow lentils) soaked in water for at least 4 hours
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 inch by 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, chopped (or about 1 tbsp)
- 4-6 green chillies, chopped fine (use less or omit if you don’t like biting into green chillies)
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 4-6 fresh curry leaves, chopped roughly
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Drain the water from the soaked dal. Reserve about 2 tbsp of the dal and place the rest in a food processor and grind it using very little water – about 1/2 cup or so. The ground mixture should be very thick. Add all the rest of the ingredients to the ground dal mixture and the reserved dal and mix using a spoon.Heat oil in a deep frying pan. Test the oil by adding a drop of the mixture. If it comes up immediately then the oil is ready. Keep heat on medium. Using your hands make small patties of the dal mixture into the oil and deep-fry turning it once so that the patties are golden brown and crispy on the outside. Drain on paper towels.Serve the vadas hot with coconut chutney or just ketchup.
- Notes: get them here >Crispy Lentil Fritters